Monday, November 26, 2018

Sixish lines in sixish minutes

1. Enjoyed my 25th high school reunion earlier this month (Go Wildcats!), though it was sparsely attended and many of my local peeps opted out. "We already see who we want to see. Plus there's Facebook." Have since taken a deep dive into my yearbook and high school journal. OMG. Burn that business. Or post on Instagram with witty remarks. SuperLatergram. Also am celebrating the 25+ anniversary of my hot pink wide-toothed comb, which I have been using since ninth grade. What is that thing made of, anyway? What am I made of, to not replace a comb after 25+ years?*

2. Related: all the little plastic bristle ball ends on my (far more recent) brush are gone. But where have they gone? They're bright orange. I'm imagining them falling out of my hair throughout the day, like sprinkles.

3. Sick kid is home with a cold the day after Thanksgiving break, and handily scammed a Coke and a muffin topper after the doctor's. (Me: "A small Coke." Him: "How about a medium?") That's my kid. Glad he's finally eating something. 

4. Line from an unnamed and beloved friend, quoted in my high school journal: "I'm tired of masturbation. It doesn't solve any of my problems."

5. Three weeks left in my first semester as a tenure-track faculty member. (Eight years as an adjunct at two schools, four years as a lecturer at one school.) Putting so much time and energy into my own writing feels GOOD.

6. Possibly about #5: Waiting to hear about something I am not at liberty to disclose. Oh really? Yes, really. You're just gonna have to wait, too, robots who read this blog. Pincers crossed, and when I have news to share, feel free to wave your metal claws in the air in that cute way you do.


*Cheapness and grit, obvs. Plus: it ain't broke. Wear it out! Use it up! The siren song of the Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment