Friday, May 7, 2010

And then the Universe said HA HA!

I recently learned that two articles I wrote for NUVO last year won awards from the Society of Professional Journalists' annual Best in Indiana Journalism contest.

-“Unite! Hotel workers fighting to unionize” won first place for Social Justice Reporting
-“A different kind of chance” won second place for Social Justice Reporting

And yesterday, after receiving a rejection from a lit journal for a short story, I sat outside re-reading the wonderful Olive Kitteridge, finally relaxing into the sudden done-ness of the teaching semester. And then a bird shat upon my bare leg.

Universe, subtle you are not. But you do have a way of reminding a person that today's news is tomorrow's fishwrap. Onward, yo. It's time to write another novel.

3 comments:

  1. Well -- a bird shat on my ARM the day BEFORE yesterday.

    (When I looked up, all I saw was a wire and blue sky....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm told it's good luck. I don't know if I buy this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't buy it either. (Ruined a pair of linen pants of mine once. Lucky? Pu-lease.)

    Congratulations on your awards and on your new work. I love the one about Joe, his apartment and his numbers. His name is going into my collection.

    ReplyDelete