Thursday, February 18, 2010

Little Round Mirrors

My screenwriter/teacher friend John has an interesting project going: Little Round Mirrors, a blog about watching his immense DVD collection in alphabetical order and reporting on the experience.

I'm enjoying getting to re-experience some favorite old films through his eyes. I have a generally good-to-excellent memory, except when I have a terrible memory, and I've been noticing lately that my recall of films and TV shows is...not so great. "Oh, is that the one where the guy goes into a coma and believes he's wearing a rabbit suit?" I might ask when somebody mentions a film title. And the reply, more often than not, is, "Uh, no. It was a girl, and it wasn't a coma but a trip to rehab, and she wore a donkey mascot suit. NOT a rabbit."

Details, details. If I can create a defense, or at least a reasonable theory for my lapses, I think it has to do with structure: while I may not get every detail of the plot right (or, OK, any detail of the plot), I can generally remember or discuss the structure of the film. Three-act, restorative, hero's journey, etc. etc. My brain needs a way to connect it to the way the script's been formed, to the writing itself. Other times, it's an image, a line of dialogue, or the way a character interacts with the world. All elements that would work their way into a script.

John's alphabetical system (there are rules; see the blog for more details) ensures even treatment of the collection. I can try to guess what's coming next ("Better Off Dead" was the latest), even as I have no idea what's next. Taxonomy is immensely appealing: my favorite local radio station, 92.3 WTTS, is in the middle of their annual World-Class Rock A-Z program. Today they're into the "E" section of the music library, and "Eyes Without a Face" by Billy Idol accompanied my drive home. I have a feeling the song appeared in at least one of the '80s movies from John's collection. I couldn't tell you which one, but I bet he could.

4 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying this a good bit myself. Had beers with John last weekend and he really seems to be enjoying the endeavor.

    Good to see you at the reading, btw, and hope you're enjoying the free book!

    -ce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. To my knowledge "Eyes Without A Face" did not appear in any '80s films, which is weird and can't be right, but Wikipedia concurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is craziness...I was just wracking my brain (a quick process) to see which movie "Eyes Without a Face" was in. GD, I loved that song in the 80's. What a great project, John. Thanks for reporting on it, Sarah. I'm going to follow John's blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, thanks again for introducing me to this project. John's write-up of The Big Lebowski was even better than I expected.

    ReplyDelete