Thursday, February 25, 2010

I feel very strongly about Thursday

For years, maybe five or so, Thursday was the signifier of the weekend. My schedule worked out so that I didn't teach on Fridays -- No Class Fridays, I dubbed them, only realizing the double-meaning when my sister made fun of me and my classlessness. Partly it was being a commuter, and being lucky enough to get T/TH teaching assignments instead of MWF. Partly it's that colleges and universities offered fewer Friday classes for a variety of reasons (budget cuts, professional development and conference travel for faculty, etc.), and now are considering bringing them back (to curb Thursday night binge drinking -- among students, I am to assume).* Fridays always have been my much-needed catch-up days.

This year, however, I've had a Friday class both semesters. And it's been fine, a much lighter workday than the rest of the week. I get to sit in on a fascinating lecture that I thoroughly enjoy, one of those, Wait, they're paying me to do this? But I still haven't forgotten that Thursday feeling of doneness. Stick-a-fork-in-me-ness.

So it is nice when Thursday contains an almost-done, kitten-on-a-poster Hang In There! style treat. Today I got two: a wide-ranging conversation about fiction over coffee, and the publication of my essay, Gone in a Blink, in BluePrintReview. (Originally published in REAL.)

The essay covers a topic I also feel very strongly about: theft, and being a repeated victim of theft. Which has been, as you might imagine, totally awesome. I posted the link to the piece on Facebook,** and those who've responded with their own stories of loss reminded me how common this experience is. How violated we feel, yet still we summon up the faith to trust that it won't happen again. Or to hope that will be so.

I'm sure there will come a time when I feel less strongly about losing things, when I'm less paranoid about where my coat or purse are at any given time, where I fail to exercise extreme caution about announcing publicly that I'll be out of town or even out to a movie. Already I've grown less attached to things, even important ones imbued with memories, because I know how quickly they can disappear, and be gone in a blink.


___________________________

*Little-known fact: This was the title of the companion album to Sheryl Crow's multi-platinum debut, "Tuesday Night Music Club." Also, I am lying about that part.
**Thus mildly violating my Lenten ban -- no social networking before I've done any writing for the day. But I made up for it by writing later, and also writing now. Why be a stickler with your own made-up rules?

6 comments:

  1. I've been pretty fortunate in my life to never have really fallen victim to theft. The only time it was really an issue was when my mom committed insurance fraud when I was a kid and I had to go without some things* while Mom stowed them at a friend's house until the police investigation on the "theft" was closed**.

    Congrats on the pub, Sarah. Hopefully I can read this today if/when I get some downtime at work.

    *Fishing poles, TV, Nintendo, stereo, &c.
    **Unlike your footnote, I'm unfortunately not lying about this. I should probably write about this, shouldn't I?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. YES, you should probably write about that. What a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, enjoyed this post. I remember law school, third year, I had no Friday classes. We'd end Thursday at noon and go out to eat/drink and relax for the long weekend (of course I studied a lot but there was nothing quite like the feeling of sitting in a restaurant at noon on Thursday, drinking a beer and eating a good burger, knowing I didn't have classes for another 85+ hours.

    Also, I just watched "Ghost Town" and that kitty poster is in the movie, in a pivotal scene. Have you watched that one yet? It's better than I expected.

    Cheers,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the movie rec, David. I haven't seen that one yet - will have to check it out.

    Yeah, always plenty of work to do on so-called weekends. But so nice to have the luxury to work in pajamas if desired, with the kitchen a stone's throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, indeed, no matter how much gets done on the weekend, it's always nice to be home.

    Ravi Mangla dropped me a line that he also really liked Ghost Town so now you really have to see it! Plus it has Cameron Frye in it! I refuse to call him Alan Ruck.

    ReplyDelete