Friday, January 13, 2017

Six lines in six minutes

1. Sometimes I begin writing by quoting song lyrics, like the ones in my head right now: Disarm you with a smile. I quit/I give up/Nothing's good enough for anybody else/It seems.

2. I'm listening to the audiobook of Lauren Graham's TALKING AS FAST AS I CAN, which advocates her mentor's "kitchen timer" method for writing, which reminds me that my beautiful bright orange French kitchen timer from Anthropologie (Treat.Yo. Self.) was broken not once but twice, now irreparably, by the 3 dudes in my house.*

3. It's way over six minutes, what with the asterisk paragraph below.

4. My children want to go to the store Five Below, which is a dollar store on a mild dose of steroids, and buy everything they see; consequently, we do not go to Five Below.

5. My new gym has a little free library.

6. If I get to half of the writing projects I'm thinking about this year, I will be really, really happy.



*Yeah, I know my phone has a timer, but when I'm writing (and other times, really), I want to throw my phone in the river. And my microwave has a timer. I would never throw it in the river. It's attached to the wall, for one thing. Yeah, I know I can buy another beautiful bright orange timer. But how much treating oneself can one actually manage?  

No comments:

Post a Comment